Based in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
June 27, 2019 (Switch)
November 28, 2019 (Windows/Mac)
One Dandy Man Stands Up...
Yamada-kun (Age 36) is a programmer at a major game publisher. He hates his job. Alone in his apartment, deep into the night, he toils to create a game of his own: it's an RPG, and he is the hero, Brave Yamada!
One day, he falls in love at first sight with his new neighbor Maria-chan. In an effort to nurture these feelings, he adds Princess Maria into his game!
Will Yamada-kun and Maria-chan find love?
Is destiny pre-programmed, or randomly generated? Is love a bug or a feature?
Find out in this unique RPG from Onion Games!
To clear a floor of a dungeon, use your controller or use the screen to draw a path with your finger and guide the Hero from the entrance to the exit. Use healing items and attack or defense spells with proper timing to keep the Hero alive and fighting! Clear all floors of a dungeon to score rare treasure! Clear all floors with a perfect path covering every square and get a perfect bonus! Each 5x5 floor is packed with treasures, traps, monsters, items, secrets and surprises!
Yamada-kun has also implemented a brand-new, mysterious system! It's a worldwide leaderboard, to determine who is the best Yamada-kun in all parallel universes! Which equipment combination is best to clear each dungeon? There are so many... even we don't know!
We're relying on you to show off your skills and clear each dungeon with a top score! Do you have the knowledge, wisdom and reflexes to be the world's top Yamada-kun?
Keiichi Sugiyama’s unique mix of chiptunes and humming compliments Yamada’s retro-themed world perfectly! He is joined by Enka BOSSA’s founder and singer, Caorinho Fujiwara, who composed the Japanese theme song: “Gyakkou Zinsei” (Life Against the Tide). Mystery singer Nagasa Bonus contributes a smooth voice that flows over the chiptunes of the English version’s theme song: ”Retrograde Life”.
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Thane Gaming: Dandy Dungeon - The Real Story of Onion Games YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "9/10 — Dandy Dungeon has robust depths beneath the outer layers of nuclearstrength whimsy… You'd have to be a bumbling turdbag not to at least give Yamada the chance to win your heart."
- E304, Edge Magazine
- "There aren’t many games that deliver aesthetics and personality quite like this. Yamada is a reflection of his creators as well as the industry itself. His game, as you’ll hopefully discover, is quite brilliant."
- Rich Stanton, Kotaku UK
- "5/5 - It’s funny, sentimental, weird, and a lot savvier than you’d first guess. It’s also a really fun game with a core mechanic you won’t find in any other Switch RPG… Don’t miss it… 5/5"
- Shaun Musgrave, TouchArcade
- " 9/10 - The more we played Dandy Dungeon and the more layers were introduced, the more captivated we became by its simple yet effective mix of RPG progession and roguelike dungeons…"
- Sam Bishop, GameReactor
- "8/10 - The light-hearted take on one man’s inability to separate reality from fantasy really works as a great conceit for the overall game, while the puzzle-like approach to combat and exploration makes the now rather tired world of roguelites feel instantly more refreshing…"
- Dom Reseigh-Lincoln, NintendoLife
- "Dandy Dungeon is about love and labor and the worth of human creativity, and it explores those themes in about the silliest, grindiest, least portentous way possible."
- Drew Messinger-Michaels, Everybody's Talking at Once
About Onion Games
Onion Games is making games happily.
More information on Onion Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Dandy Dungeon ~Legend of Brave Yamada~ Credits
Director, Game Designer
Lead Pixel Artist
Music, Sound Design